How a mosque & a Catholic church ended up side by side in Tver
Today, this is essentially the city center. But, back in the early 20th century, this area was on the outskirts, which is precisely why permission to build non-Orthodox churches was granted there.
In the 1850s, a Lutheran church was built in Tver (it hasn't survived), so, soon, Catholics from neighboring towns began raising funds to build a Catholic church. And, in 1864, a church was erected.
By the end of the 19th century, this rather modest first cathedral gathered up to 1,500 people: predominantly Germans, Poles and Balts. It had an organ and a large library. But, in the Soviet era, the church was closed and, in 1974, the building was demolished.
In the 1990s, the parish was revived and a new brick church, dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Lord, was built almost on the same spot.
Meanwhile, a mosque has stood right across since 1906. In 1905, Nicholas II issued a decree “on strengthening the principles of religious tolerance”. After this, Tver's numerous Muslims (mostly Tatars) were also able to find a place for prayer. The emperor even personally donated a considerable sum toward its construction.
The mosque, built in the Neo-Moorish style, has fared better over the years than the Catholic church. The building survived the Soviet era, although, for many years, it housed the ‘Vostok’ restaurant and no services were held.
Tver also had a Lutheran church built in 1849 (we’ve mentioned before). Its parish was also significant, drawing worshippers from all the surrounding towns, mainly Germans and Estonians. But, this magnificent church was destined to stand for just over 100 years – in 1966 it was demolished and a building for the regional party committee was erected in its place.
By the way, a synagogue stands a couple of blocks away. It was built in 1911. During Soviet times, it housed a police station, but, today, the Jewish community has, once again, found its home there.